Saturday, 9 February 2008

AFL in Dubai



Australian Rules is the most popular football code in Australia, with soccor (yes, yes I know, the REAL football) and rugby coming next, and I don't know which is more popular these days between those two. It's a winter sport traditionaly, but they have a 'pre-season' competition which starts this week. (Basically a money making venture for advertisers as far as I can see.) Anyway, the first game of the season is being played in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates. The AFL (Australian Football League) is attempting to expand the awareness of the sport to a more international audience, so there was a game recently played in California at the 'G'day USA' festival for the US audience. I know they also play in Sth Africa and Ireland and I'm sure there is other 'exhibition' matches played in London and other cities around the world. Anyway, I'm not really into the sport, just not my thing, but my nephew plays with the junior league of AFL in Dubai and he is captaining one of the junior teams that are playing at half time of the match in Dubai. I'm really excited about this because it's being televised back here in Aus. so I'm hoping to see him play. This little man lives and breathes AFL so it will be very exciting for him to be playing alongside the 'big boys'. The result of all this is I'm sitting at home on a Saturday night in my pyjamas watching a sport I have no interest in whatsoever, waiting for half time. Hence why I'm blogging at the same time. It's also really funny watching all the players with zinc cream all over their faces (serious protection sunscreen) playing footy. As I said, it's a winter sport, so I'm more used to seeing them in long sleeves playing in the pouring rain, but considering they are in the middle of the desert and the temp is 41 degrees, sun protection is more appropriate - it just doesn't feel right though. They keep showing wide shots of the oval and the turf they are playing on is all green and lovely but just beyond the stadium is desert. Not Arizona kind of desert, but Sahara type desert. All you can see is sand as far as the horizon, aside from some buildings and road. Who knows what they do to keep the grass green and in tact - whatever is it, it would take a lot of water I would imagine. Anyway, take care and good luck Cal - play hard xxxxx........

No comments: