I wonder whether she was just being an annoying four y.o. (as they are) and not listening to her dad, or singing loudly or telling him to change the music on the radio, or asking for McDonalds or.......... what could a 4 y.o. do that is so bad?
And it makes me wonder whether in an age where our kids are exposed to so much more information and learn a lot at an early age, are our expectations of them too high, are we just forgetting that they are just kids? When I see in mag.s all this bullshit about designer kidswear and 'spa dates' for 6 y.o. birthday parties it just makes me angry, because it is so hollow and doesn't give kids what they need in the stage of life when they are just lapping up every thing they see and here. And I wonder whether parents now have unrealistic expectations of their kids behaviour just because they dress like 13 year olds? Are they expecting them to sit quietly in a cafe, or go and play on their own without parental interaction for long periods of time? Maybe too many parents just want their kids to sit quietly in front of the T.V. or computer so they aren't bothered by them or their noise, or have to put in too much time or effort. I know in this case it was an extreme and the man is now under psychiatric care (unfortunately too late), but being in the midst of having a toddler and all their 'special' behaviour and being out and about in public and amongst other mothers and their opinions, I just can't help wondering if we have it all turned about.
Do you know that at the moment in a magazine, there is an advertisement for an 'ecologically friendly, recyclable cubby house' for $80.00. It's a fucking cardboard box! I'm serious, it's a cardboard box that has been cut out with a roof and a chimney and little windows and amazingly(!) - kids can decorate it themselves (i.e. scribble all over it with crayons).

I have actually cut the advertisement out to keep because it spins me out so much. Look at Jim's and Tom's creation a while ago, including lookout, all for nothing....
Anyway, I'm sorry for the sad news today, but it is really bothering me that this sort of thing can happen in a country like Australia where there is Child Protection services and all sorts of departments that are supposed to be in place to prevent this sort of thing, and then I just think of that little girl and how scared she must have been and I get upset all over again.
Will have some happy news next time I write...........
2 comments:
Damn! I have a few empty cardboard boxes around here that I could have marketed as "eco-friendly club houses". Why didn't I think of that!?
The thing I find really creepy (sorry if I'm offending anyone here) is child beauty pageants. I'm not talking about teenagers, but about putting eye shadow and ball gowns and tiaras on your 4 year old. weird.
Very sad story about the little girl. So tragic when so many are desperate to be parents and others just take for granted what a special gift a child is...
I'm right on board with the pageant thing. They should be in old jeans and t-shirts catching frogs.
Post a Comment