Wednesday, 5 March 2008

Oh Baby!



Well I have had a week of Baby Showers, which I have loved. This is not an overly Aussie tradition, a few people have them but not regularly. I think they are a great celebration though and felt very spoilt when I was given my showers in the US before I had Tom. Therefore, when I found out one of my closest friends was pregnant and due a week after me, I was adamant that I hold her a shower. My sister-in-law is due the week before me and she had her shower also on the weekend. I love them. There is such a good vibe and everyone is excited for the mum-to be and the talk is all baby and advice is flying from all directions; there is nothing like a Baby Shower to bring out a woman's clucky side! Especially for the first time mum - you feel so special having all your friends celebrate your pregnancy with you and the pressies you get isn't a bad thing either! My friends shower was held at my place and with six adults and eight kids it was nothing short of busy, but fun of course. We played 'pooey nappy' and 'Baby Bingo' and then I had the older kids play 'pin the dummy on the baby'. Which they thought was a real hoot and wanted to play it again, and again. We had lovely afternoon tea and just a nice time together. I also scored a gift which was a lovely surprise. My sister-in-law's shower was at her mum's with a much bigger group, so I organised Celebrity Baby and Baby Bingo, which was fun also. It's amazing how people really get into a game, no matter how silly or for how small a prize. More good food was consumed, many laughs and much chatter ensued, and it was great to see which pressies she got for her first baby to help her get set up. It also started to make me feel very excited about our upcoming arrival - not long now. It's always fun hearing what people think the sex of the baby is and take time to chat to you all about how you are feeling etc. I have regularly forgot about this baby due to having a much louder, more attention-grabbing toddler to contend with, so having some time to focus on what is about to become very much a reality is nice and has helped me get excited about it.

No comments: