If any of you know anything about surfing, then you may have heard of Bells Beach and the world championship (part of the world tour) that is held there every Easter. It's a pretty amazing surf spot, very beautiful and apparently consistently good waves. I know more about the picturesque running track that follows the coastline for about 20km but it's all about surfing this weekend. Anyway, we live about 10 mins away from Bells so it's gets very busy around here at this time. Not only is it school holidays and lots of families come for a break, but you get all the surfing enthusiasts and competitors swooping on the area. There is a boutique hotel just down the road from us and quite a few surfers were staying there this year. Jim and I took Tom out for an early dinner last night to the attached restaurant and there was a bit of a dinner for a lot of the female surfers whose comp. finished yesterday. Pity I didn't know any of them, because I really don't follow surfing very closely anymore, but it was kind of a buzz to know that we were dining with the world's best female surfers anyway. The men are continuing to compete over the coming days and one of the guys, Bede Durbridge, is friends with my brother-in-law and his wife and he is going pretty well, so I'll be keen to see how far he gets. Kelly Slater, one of the best surfers over the past decade or more, is a Californian who has been coming out to compete regularly in Australia for as long as I can remember (I used to have the BIGGEST crush on him when I was about 20). He was surfing this year, but I'm not sure if he's still in the comp or not. If you are interested, here's a link to a website that can give you more info. http://www.surfingaustralia.com/
I don't know how to post photos off the web, so if you want some pictures, you can just go to the website.
Hang Ten...............
No comments:
Post a Comment