Contentment - it is such an elusive emotion. Is it just part of human nature to always want what we can't have or is it a product of current western civilization? I've been thinking of this lots recently. I'm really bad at wishing, wishing for other things. Well not necessarily other things, but other situations, despite my current situation being perfectly fine and fulfilling. So I'm practicing every day. Every time I hear myself wishing for something, I take stock, count my blessings and change my thoughts. It's simple, but I'm so bad at it. I see a girl out going for a run and I think, oh, I wish I could do that. Or I hear of some friends going to a Jack Johnson concert and I think, oh, I wish I could do that. Or people planning some travel, having dinner at a great restaurant, or going to the hairdresser! Whatever, I've just gotten into this bad habit of wishing my life away. So my current resolution (I don't do New Year's resolutions, I do them as they pop into my head), is to aim for contentment. Now I might have to be the Dalai Lama to acheive this 100%, but I feel that there is no harm in trying and I may just learn to better appreciate everything I do have and therefore enjoy it more, with just the occasional, "I wish I could do that".
This is especially significant now as I'm about to head into another extreme change of lifestyle (baby #2), and if I don't do this, I'm just going to get very boring and very sorry for myself which is no fun for anyone. I can see it will be very easy to be consumed by tiredness and monotony for the first few months of being a mummy of two, so if I can find little things to be positive about, then that has to be good for my mind set and my family and for you guys who read this regularly. I'll definitely lose many of my readers (assuming there is some) if I'm just a grizzle guts the whole time!
So today I'm very happy that I was able to just get up and put my trackie daks on (sweat pants for you non-Aussies), rather than having to put on work clothes or makeup, I'm very happy that Tom and I had a painting session and he loved it. And I'm very happy that I've been able to eat chocolate and not feel an ounce of guilt. It was really yummy and I needed it!
I hope you have some good moments in your day today too.
Go with the flow..........
No comments:
Post a Comment