Saturday, 2 January 2010

A Cuddle

I got a cuddle yesterday.
It was just one of those cuddles that I want to remember because I know that they won't last forever. 
It's not that unusual, I get cuddles every day from both my boys.  I think I've conditioned them.  I get cuddles round the legs, jumps on my back if I'm not ready and good ol' fashioned cuddles on the couch.  But this one was special.  Angus had just woken up and Tom was actually having a nap after a late night on New Years Eve.  So there was no vying for attention which generally happens.  I brought Angus upstairs to the couch and just sat down.  He snuggled in and just stayed there, sitting on my lap, for at least 15 mins.  It was one of those moments, that I suppose could be thought as similar to a promotion or pay rise in the workplace.  It's the feedback you don't really get day to day as a Mum, but when it comes it makes it all worth it.  This is my baby who for 9 months would never 'lay' in anyones arms.  The only way you could carry Angus was up over your shoulder.  This is fine for some of the time but is quite tiring all of the time.  Also, it's not great for bonding as you can't look into their eyes, or smile at them.  Basically in the early months of Angus' life, he didn't cuddle.  I used to be so worried about this.  Eventually we got him all worked out and things got back to being normal, but you never know what effects those early days are going to have. 

And then you get a cuddle......or whatever the equivalent might be for you and your child. 
He was warm from being in bed, face all scrunched up, still not really opening his eyes and just a dead weight on my chest.  And uncharacteristically still, and quiet.  Angus is a go-er.  He tries to keep up with his big brother constantly.  He's always on the go, so his cuddles and kisses normally are quick or when he's trying to get away from his brother because he stole a train (or whatever the toy of the moment is).  But this one was a, "Mummy, please cuddle me because that's the only place I want to be.", kind of cuddle. The best. 
Have I gone on about this enough?  I suppose this is more for me than anyone else, I just want to remember because I know that the cuddle days are shortlived.

No comments: